30 things about migraine you might not know....
1. The illness I live with is: Migraine2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2005
3. But I had symptoms since: 2002
4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: Not overdoing it
5. Most people assume: a migraine is just a headache
6. The hardest part about mornings are: wondering if I'll wake up with a migraine - as this will mean my medication won't work
7. My favorite medical TV show is: well it was ER back in the day!
8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: my iPhone
9. The hardest part about nights are: having to go to bed early to get rid of a migraine - in the hope it will be gone by the following day
10. Each day I take 6 pills & vitamins.
11. Regarding alternative treatments I: have tried acupucture, homeopathy, aromatherapy, massage reflexology - yet most of them didn't work and were a total waste of money (not massage - that's great for reducing stress!)
12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: visible any day - so at least people could see there is actually something wrong with me!
13. Regarding working and career: it has been a tough old ride. I've spent my whole adult life hiding my illness from employers and taking far too much medication so I could make it through the day and not have to go home sick. It was one of the main reasons I decided to work for myself.
14. People would be surprised to know: that even when don't have a migraine I don't feel well about 90% of the time
15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: that I will probably always have migraines
16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: have a successful career
17. The commercials about my illness: drive me bonkers - mainly any ads for tablets or headache sticks that claim they can work for migraine.
18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: not having to worry about my blood sugar levels all the time and having to have regular sleep patters
19. It was really hard to have to give up: being carefree
20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: blogging - which has been so fantastic meeting supportive, like-minded people
21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: have a day of extremes and excess!
22. My illness has taught me: to appreciate that it's chronic and not critical (thanks Mum for that saying!)
23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: "Oh are you still getting migraines then?"
24. But I love it when people: understand that I'm not just being flakey
25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: "It's always darkest before the dawn", "To thine own self be true" and "Chin up!"
26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: your life isn't over just because you have migraine. You can still have a lovely life and do the things you love!
27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: how proactive I can be when I'm well
28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: read my book out loud to me. It was Tom and it was right in the middle of the book so it made no sense to him but he did it anyway. He also always buys me chocolate after I've had a migraine as he knows I get a craving for it.
29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: I want to raise awareness about migraine and get rid of the stigma that it's just an excuse people use when they want a day off work!
30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: hopeful that I'm making more people aware
Thanks for taking the time to read! If you decide to share the meme then please feel free to send me the link!